Friday, October 3, 2014

Pumpkin Butter Recipe

If you love pumpkin as much as I do, you understand the delights of Pumpkin Butter - all the flavor of Pumpkin Pie in a creamy spread (with no eggs)... Pumpkin Butter is a product that is no longer considered safe for home canning - because pumpkin is so very dense that one cannot get hot enough temperatures consistently to ensure there are no bacteria (especially botulism) in the finished product. Since I don't like to play Russian Roulette with my family's health, I make my pumpkin butter in small batches and freeze them!




Pumpkin Butter Recipe
  • 1 6-8" sugar sweet or other pie pumpkin
  • 1 tsp allspice (to taste, I like to add a bit more)
  • 1 tsp cinnamon (again, to taste)
  • Pinch ground cloves (be careful with the cloves, they are strong and can tip the balance of the flavors)
  • Pinch nutmeg
  • Up to 1 cup sugar or other natural sweetener (real maple syrup is amazing in this recipe)
Roast or steam the pumpkin til soft. Scoop the flesh into a heavy-bottomed saucepan (the heavy bottom helps avoid scorching). Add spices, and sweetener to taste (some pumpkins are sweeter than others, so taste before sweetening!). Mash and stir and simmer the mixture over VERY low heat until most of the moisture cooks off and the pumpkin is reduced to the thick, luscious spread that is pumpkin butter. 

Pack the pumpkin butter into small jars (I find 4 oz or 8 oz jars are best), allow to cool, and then cover. This will supposedly keep in the refrigerator for up to 6 months - but I tend to freeze whatever I am not using immediately to be on the safe side! 

NOTE: You can absolutely use canned pumpkin to make pumpkin butter. I would use a large can (29 oz) for this recipe - and if you want a smaller amount just adjust the spices and sweetener!

No comments:

Post a Comment